Every student earning a Bachelor of Science degree in exercise science must complete an internship. Exercise science internships must be at least 300 clock hours of on-site, in-person work. For students planning to continue their studies at physical or occupational therapy programs, these internship hours can count towards observation hours. Internships may be completed during the fall, spring or summer.
What’s the process?
Identify a facility where you would like to intern. Contact the facility, meet with them in person and confirm that you will be able to complete your internship there.
- Complete the application below. It requires the signatures of your parents, your on-site supervisor at the internship and your academic advisor.
- Submit your application to the Registrar’s Office before Study Day of the semester prior to your internship. May Study Day is the application deadline for summer and fall internships. December Study Day is the application deadline for spring internships.
- Once your application has been submitted to the Registrar’s Office, you will be given the guidelines for the written work to be completed during your internship. Submit all your written work in one binder to your academic advisor at the conclusion of your internship.
Recently, students have interned at:
• Advantage Rehab – Denton, Md.
• The Children’s Institute – Pittsburgh, Pa.
• Cleveland Clinic Sports Health and Rehabilitation – Garfield Heights, Ohio
• Community and Recreation Center at Boyce Mayview Park – Upper St. Clair, Pa.
• Cool Springs Fitness Aquatics – Mercer, Pa.
• Drees Performance Training – Burnsville, Minn.
• Grove City YMCA – Grove City, Pa.
• Grove City College Athletics – Grove City, Pa.
• Health & Wellness Center at Hazelton – Hazelton, Pa.
• Institute of Athletic Development – Hanover, Pa.
• Kamwenge Secondary Vocational School, Ugandan Water Project – Kamwenge, Uganda
• Lake County Captains, Minor League Baseball – Eastlake, Ohio
• Redline Athletics – Colorado Springs, Colo.
• Results Therapy and Fitness Center – Chambersburg, Pa.
• Robert Morris University Strength and Conditioning – Moon Township, Pa.
• Rocky River Recreation Center – Rocky River, Ohio
• Slippery Rock University Football Team – Slippery Rock, Pa.
• Specialty Orthopedics – Hermitage, Pa.
• Speed Strength Systems Inc. – Eastlake, Ohio
• Spire Institute – Geneva, Ohio
• Tri State Physical Therapy – Pittsburgh, Pa.
• True Athletic Performance – Chantilly, Va.
• UPMC Centers for Rehabilitation Services – Pittsburgh, Pa.
• UPMC Sports Health Center – Pittsburgh, Pa.
• X Shady Side – Pittsburgh, Pa.
• Western PA Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinic Inc. – Johnstown, Pa.
• Wise Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine – Grove City, Pa.
Some decide against pursuing opportunties in a graduate school program. Recent graduates have entered the workforce at: •
Health Corps, Health Coordinator •
Valencell PerformTek Precision Biometrics •
Excursions Camps, Program Coach