101. ELEMENTARY GERMAN I. Intended for students who have not studied German or for those with minimal high-school study: grammar and vocabulary-building fundamentals, and basic conversation. Fall semester only, three hours.
102. ELEMENTARY GERMAN II. Appropriate for students who have studied German 101 or with one year of high-school study with grades of B or better. Continuation of grammar, vocabulary building, and basic conversation and reading. Prerequisite: German 101. Spring semester only, three hours.
201. INTERMEDIATE GERMAN I. Appropriate for students who have completed two years of high school study with grades of B or better. Intensive study of grammar and vocabulary in oral and written practice and review of elementary German. Prerequisite: German 102. Fall semester only. three hours.
202. INTERMEDIATE GERMAN II. Continuation of German 201. Understanding and speaking, grammar, and readings from selected texts. Prerequisite: German 201. Spring semester only, three hours.
301-302. TECHNIQUES OF EFFECTIVE TRANSLATION. Training in effective techniques of translating German journals and books, including a review of grammar. Prerequisite: German 201. Offered periodically, two or three hours each semester.
316. CONVERSATION. Instruction in speaking and understanding German in a variety of social and professional situations. Acquisition of vocabulary will be emphasized. Prerequisite: German 202. Offered periodically, semester course, three hours.
330. GERMAN CULTURE. A survey of German history and civilization, including studies in geography, major eras of history, customs and cultural accomplishments. Prerequisite: German 202. Offered periodically, semester course , three hours.
334. ADVANCED GRAMMAR. A thorough review of the basic elements of German grammar and the study of finer grammatical points commonly omitted in review grammars. Prerequisite: German 202 or by permission. Offered periodically, semester course, three hours.
390. STUDIES IN GERMAN. Readings and discussion of topics in literature or language. Subject matter varies. Semester course, two or three hours.
460. INDEPENDENT STUDY. Individual study directed by a faculty member with the permission of the department chair. Semester course, one, two or three hours.