Admitted Student FAQ

​Admitted Student FAQ

1. How are housing assignments made?
First-time freshman students live together in residence halls. The majority of women live in North Hall and men live in Memorial and Hicks Halls. In most instances, upperclassman transfer students will be placed with other upperclassman students in​ other residence halls. Beginning in June you will have the opportunity to have a hand in choosing your own roommate. To do this, you will need to sign in to myGCC ( and click on “Roommate Finder” on the left-hand side of the page. Please note that roommate requests must be mutual in order to be assigned. If you prefer to have the College match you with a roommate, please complete the Lifestyle Preferences portion of the Roommate Finder tool. This information will be used to find the most compatible roommate for you. Housing is assigned in the order deposits were received.
2. How and when will I find out who my roommate(s) will be?
You should complete Roommate Finder information and begin corresponding with potential roommates at the beginning of June. The final deadline for submitting roommate requests is Sunday, July 1. Housing assignments will begin to be distributed in mid-July via your Grove City College email account only; room assignments will not be given out over the phone. These assignments are subject to change through the beginning of the school year because of student attrition.
3. I am having trouble locating "Roommate Finder" on myGCC. Where is it?
Log into You can click on one of two tabs at the top – “Students" or “New Students” – then on the left hand side you will see “roommate finder” in gray.
4. Is it possible that I will have more than one roommate?
Yes, it is very likely. Grove City College freshman housing includes double rooms, triple rooms and even a few quad rooms. Rooms are assigned according to deposit date. Single rooms are usually reserved for students with documented medical needs. In order to keep housing costs as low as possible for all of our students, there is no difference in housing costs for different types of rooms.
5. May I room with a friend or someone I know?
Yes, you may, but keep in mind that freshmen must room with other freshmen, except in extenuating circumstances. These roommate requests must be made through the Roommate Finder on myGCC and must be mutual.
6. What happens if my roommate and I don’t get along?
As a Christian college, we believe that learning to live in peace with others is both an important life skill and important in learning to follow Christ. When a roommate conflict arises, students should first attempt to reconcile the issue in an open, honest and caring manner. Often simply communicating directly about an issue will lead to resolution of a problem. If the students themselves are not able to resolve the conflict, they should involve the Resident Assistant and/or the Resident Director to mediate the situation. There should be an honest and reasonable attempt on the part of the students to meet the conditions of the compromise, should one be attained. If the situation is still not able to be resolved, with the support of the Resident Director, the students may petition the Director of Residence Life for a housing change at the semester break, but please know that a roommate mediation may still be required. Only in extreme situations will housing changes be considered during a semester. In addition, please note that our residence halls are typically at capacity so a move may not be logistically possible.
7. May I live off campus?
Grove City College is a residential college. The College’s residence halls are meant to foster social unity and to enhance the total learning environment and experience for our students. Therefore, all students except commuter students who reside with their parents or legal guardians are required to room and board in College residence halls. Commuter students at Grove City College are full-time students who live with their parents, legal guardians or spouses, normally within a 40-mile radius of campus. Permission from the College must be granted for students desiring to live with relatives other than parents or legal guardians, but are limited to grandparents or aunts and uncles. Veterans and those returning to college from the working world may qualify for approved commuter status if there is a significant age difference between them and students in their class living on campus. Normally, students who would be twenty-five years of age during their senior year would be considered in this category. Certain students, for medically documented reasons, may be considered for commuter status. In addition, students attending beyond their fourth year, or who have lived on campus for more than eight semesters including time spent at other institutions, are required to live off campus in the community of Grove City. All off-campus housing for full-time students must be authorized by the College. The College does not provide housing for part-time, post-baccalaureate, married, or special status students.
8. What furniture is supplied for me?
Each student is supplied with a bed, a desk, a desk chair, a dresser and a closet or wardrobe. Each room also has at least one mirror.
9. How do I know the dimensions of my room?
The email you will receive in July with your room and roommate information will also include the dimensions of your room. These values are approximate. Dimensions will not be given out over the phone. In addition, due to different models of furniture, dimensions for furniture in a particular room are not available.
10. What size sheets should I buy?
If you are living in Memorial, Hicks, or any other men’s residence halls, you will need extra-long (80 inch) twin sheets. If you are living in Mary Ethel Pew Hall (MEP), you will need standard (75 inch) twin sheets. If you are living in Harker, West, North and South Halls, you will need extra-long (80 inch) twin sheets.
11. What items should I think about bringing?
alarm clock, bedding—sheets, pillow, pillowcase, blanket (mattress pad provided),caddy to store/carry shower items, desk lamp, desk supplies, fan, hand soap, hangers, headphones, high-efficiency laundry detergent, iron (there are typically irons available in residence halls), laundry basket/bag, microwave, power strip with a surge protector, refrigerator (less than 4.0 cubic feet), sewing kit, swimsuit, telephone (each residence hall room is provided an official College landline extension),towels and washcloths, umbrella, wastebasket.
12. Is there anything I cannot bring?
The following items are not permitted in the residence halls and may be confiscated if found: Additional curtains and draperies, alcohol and illegal drugs and narcotics, candles/incense/potpourri, coffee pots with a hot plate/exposed coil, cooking & hunting knives with blades longer than four inches, empty alcoholic beverage containers and glassware commonly used to serve alcohol, halogen lamps and multi-arm lamps with plastic shades, heaters, air conditioners and ceiling fans, items/posters advertising alcohol, live Christmas trees, obscene posters, pets (other than fish), refrigerators larger than 4.0 cubic feet, road signs without proof of purchase, satellite dishes, toasters, toaster ovens, and other cooking appliances (popcorn poppers and hot pots with heavy duty cords are permitted) with an exposed coil or heated surface and weapons, including water balloon launchers and airsoft guns.
13. Are my personal items insured?
Please check your parents’ homeowner’s or renter’s insurance to see if it covers your property while you are away at school. The College does not take responsibility for students’ personal belongings, even if personal items are damaged as a result of a facility issue. Students are strongly encouraged to obtain renter’s insurance.
14. How much freedom do I have to decorate my room?
You may decorate your room any way you’d like, within the following guidelines: Walls and ceilings may not be painted, College-issued draperies or blinds may not be removed. In addition, nothing, including additional curtains may be hung over College curtains. Due to fire hazards, fabric may not be hung on the ceilings or walls or around the doorway. Shelves may not be placed above the door or beds. College furniture should not be altered or damaged in any way. Furniture may only be used for the purpose for which it was originally intended. Only white mounting putty, masking tape and Scotch 3M Command Adhesive may be used to attach things to walls. Posters and other items must be in good taste without containing references to alcohol or obscenity. The room set-up must remain navigable at all times. Doors and windows should not be blocked and should open completely. Furniture must be 3 to 4 inches away from heating vents to allow heat to circulate.
15. Are there items I can rent on campus rather than purchasing myself?
Small refrigerators may be rented from Men’s Activity Board.
16. Are there kitchen facilities available? Irons? Vacuums?
There are kitchen facilities for student use in Ketler Rec and South Rec. If you plan to do much cooking or baking, you may want to bring some of your own supplies. A student should bring his or her own iron. Vacuums are provided in common areas for student use.
17. May I bring an air conditioner?
Air conditioners are not permitted in the residence halls. If you require an air conditioner for a specific medical need, please contact Student Life & Learning.
18. May I ship my belongings to the school?
Boxes may be shipped to your campus mail address and picked up in the mailroom in the Breen Student Union beginning August 1 of your freshman year.
19. Where do I receive mail?
The mailroom is located in the Breen Student Union. Each student has his or her own mailbox and box number, which remains the same for all four years. Your mailbox number will be sent to you with your housing information via your campus email account. Your address will be:
Your Name
GCC # (your box number)
200 Campus Drive
Grove City, PA 16127-2197
20. Where do I do my laundry?
Each residence hall has a laundry room in the building. The washers and dryers are front-load Maytag washers and high-efficiency dryers. The machines are coin-operated and you can also use your ID card with Crimson Cash on it. A washer is $1.00 per load, and a dryer is $.75 per load. The washers require high-efficiency detergent. Regular laundry detergent creates too many suds.
21. Is there storage available during the school year or for the summer?
Some of the female residence halls have storage rooms to be used during the school year. Items permitted to be stored are limited to suitcases (and other luggage items) and plastic tubs with lids. Depending upon available space, the number of items to be stored may be limited per student by the Resident Director. There is no summer storage available on campus. Items left at summer break will be donated or discarded.
22. May I come to campus early or return early after breaks?
No. The residence halls are closed and therefore unsupervised during campus holidays. Because of this, students are not permitted to return early. In the fall, students participating in certain campus organizations and activities may be permitted to return early, as requested by the organization adviser or activity sponsor and approved by the Office of Student Life & Learning. Individual request to return early will not be granted unless the returning student is a sibling of a freshman who is required to return early. All such requests must be approved by the Director of Residence Life.
23. Where do I go when I arrive on campus?
To be announced at a later date.
24. Where do I pick up my room key?
Before you can move your belongings into your room you will be given your Room Inventory (RCI) at a central check-in location at your residence hall. There will be directions at each residence hall directing students where to go upon arrival. You are asked to review this form carefully. Once you have had a chance to carefully review the form, make changes, and sign it, you can return to the check-in area of our building to retrieve your key.
25. What is the schedule for move-in day?
Move-in takes place from 8:00 – 10:45 a.m. After you receive your room assignment, you will be sent information about the specific time that you will need to move in, according to the floor plan of the building in which you will live. At 11:00 there will be a welcome meeting for all new students and their parents in the arena in the Physical Learning Center. Students will be emailed in the summer with details of other Welcome Week activities.
26. What are an RA and an RD, and what is the difference?
RA stands for Resident Assistant. An RA is a full-time student in a leadership position in the residence halls. The primary role of an RA is to build a sense of community among his or her assigned residents, serve as a resource and support to residents, and to assist in the spiritual and personal development of residents. Your RA will plan activities and programs throughout the school year that are designed to aid in your social, spiritual, and life skills development. An RA is on duty in each residence hall from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. every day during the academic year for emergencies or other student concerns.
RD stands for Residence Director. An RD is a professional staff member employed full-time by the College. He or she lives in an apartment within the residence hall. The primary role of this position is to foster a positive living and learning community among the residents in an assigned residence hall. The Residence Director is responsible for the care of all individuals and activities that take place within their respective building. There is always one male and one female RD on call, 24 hours/day during the academic year to address emergencies or other student concerns.
27. What lodging is available for parents on campus or in town?
There is no lodging available on campus for parents at any time. There are a number of hotels and bed and breakfasts in the surrounding community.
28. What kind of television service is available in the residence halls?
Television reception without cable service is very limited in the residence halls. Cable service is provided by Armstrong Cable Services, and can be purchased from the College. More information will be available when you arrive on campus. Cable service is provided free of charge in Colonial Apartments.

29. What do I need to know about telephone service?
Long distance service is not provided by the College. Campus and local service is free, but you will need to provide your own telephone. We recommend a cell phone or calling card for long distance calls. If you do not have a phone in your room, please give your cell phone number to Student Life & Learning so that you are able to be contacted in the case of an emergency.
30. What cell phone service is recommended?
Grove City College does not endorse one particular provider over another.
31. May I have an overnight guest?
Yes. Overnight guests of the same gender as the host are permitted to stay for a maximum of two nights in a row and must be registered with the Residence Director for emergency and safety reasons, and no more than 7 total days in a given semester. No overnight guests of the opposite sex are permitted at any time. Residents are strongly encouraged to invite overnight guests only after discussing it with their roommates.
32. May I bring my bike to school with me?
You may bring your bicycle. Bikes must be left outdoors on bike racks or kept in the student’s room. They cannot be kept in residence hall stairways, hallways, or other indoor public areas due to fire and safety regulations.
33. Are there times when the residence halls are closed?
Residence halls are closed for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter breaks in addition to summer break. During these times all students must vacate the residence halls. Students are strongly encouraged to make holiday travel arrangements well in advance of hall closings by the time/date noted on calendar. Due to safety and staff needs we have no flexibility in regard to residence hall closing times. If a student is unable to leave campus prior to the closing time they may wait in the Student Union with their belongings until their ride arrives.
34. Can my parents send me a cake for my birthday or other special occasion?
Yes. Point them to the following website for our dining services provider, Bon Appetit:
35. Do I need to buy insurance for my college-issued computer?
Yes. Each student must have the computer system insured against loss, theft and damage. Such insurance coverage may be under a homeowner's insurance policy of the student, student's parents or student's legal guardians or under other insurance, such as a student's personal property policy. Regardless of whether or not a student has any such insurance coverage, the student is responsible for payment to College of the full replacement value or repair cost of the computer system in the event of loss, theft or damage to it.
36. What services can be paid for by credit card?
The College Bookstore accepts Visa, Mastercard and Discover. Student accounts may be paid online through myGCC using Mastercard only. The Gee now takes credit cards!
37. How do I get to and from the airport?
The Myers Bus Line has service to Pittsburgh and Erie. Airport Orbit is a local shuttle company providing transportation to and from the Pittsburgh International Airport.

Myers Trailways: 1-877-733-1045
Airport Orbit: 1-800-443-8687

Students may also post notices on the electronic “Ride Board” on myGCC when they need a ride or can offer a ride to someone else.
The College has a shuttle that goes to and from the airport during major breaks ie; Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and beginning and end of the semester. Please check myGCC for shuttle times.
38. What banking services are available on campus or in town?
PNC is the approved financial services provider for students on the Grove City College campus. PNC has an advanced function ATM located in the Breen Student Union capable of accepting deposits, cashing checks, and administering a typical cash withdrawal. PNC also has a full service branch located at 201 South Broad Street, within walking distance of campus.
PNC’s Virtual Wallet Student provides interactive online tools that make it easy to keep track of your money, so you – and your family – have one less thing to worry about as you begin your college journey. Those with a PNC Bank account, will also have the ability to link their Crimson ID Card to their PNC Bank account(s). This will allow students to use their Crimson ID Card on or off campus to make purchases using a 4-digit personal identification number (PIN). Using one’s Crimson ID Card in this fashion is safe, as one’s bank accounts cannot be accessed without the pin.
For additional Information on PNC and how to link your Crimson Card, please visit the following website: or call the branch at 724-458-9250.
PNC – 724-458-9250 or 800-352-0186 - ATM on campus
Other Banks in the area:
Citizens Bank (724) 458-8350
First National Bank (724) 458-0800
Huntington Bank (724) 458-5611 or (800) 542-2657
Northwest Savings Bank (724) 450-1300 or (877) 672-5678
39. How do I apply for a job on campus?
To apply for on-campus employment, log into myGCC. Click on the "Sign Up" tab, and complete the "Student Job Application." Completing this application does not guarantee that you will be hired for a particular position. Supervisors for on-campus jobs will contact you if you if you are to be hired.
40. Is tutoring available?
Tutoring is available for most of the classes offered. Contact Kathy Leonard, Director of Academic Counseling to sign up for a tutor at the first sign of needing extra help. Group tutoring is $10.00 for a semester, and individual tutoring is $8.00-10.00 per hour. Kemikos, a chemistry honorary, provides free tutoring in chemistry, and Byte, a computer organization, provides free tutoring in computer science.
41. Who do I contact if I have a problem or an issue on campus?
Grove City College’s goal is to develop life skills in our students to prepare them for life beyond the borders of our campus. Our desire is to partner with parents in this effort, and as such, we encourage students to attempt to address issues themselves rather than asking their parents to do so. If a student has a question, problem or issue that arises, he or she should first contact the RA on his/her floor. If the issue needs further attention, the student should contact the RD of the building. If a resolution still has not been reached, the student should contact the Office of Student Life & Learning.​


More Information

Visit Us

​There’s no better way to get to know Grove City College than to visit us and experience the campus.

Learn More

Financial Aid

Freedom is when the education of your lifetime doesn’t take your lifetime to repay.

Learn More

Important Dates

Upcoming deadlines, important information and dates related to Admissions.

Learn More

How We're Wired

Ranked 11th by U.S. News & World Report as the Most Wired College Campus, Grove City College boasts a unique approach to technology.

Learn More

Schedule an Interview

As a part of our holistic admissions process, the interview gives each student the opportunity to highlight his/her accomplishments and involvements in high school, goals for the future, and any other areas of interest to an admissions counselor.

Learn More

Amazing Value

​One of the biggest problems facing college graduates today is the excessive debt they incur to earn their degree.


Learn More