​Financial Aid FAQ

Do I need to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) if Grove City College does not participate in any federal aid programs? 

The FAFSA is generally required to be used in applying for financial aid from non-federal public sources, such as State Grants, in which the College may allow its students to participate. Be sure to check with the specific aid source to determine their application process. The online application (www.fafsa.ed.gov) is significantly faster than the paper application. 

Which financial aid applications does Grove City College require? 

U.S. Residents- Complete the Grove City College Financial Aid Application found at www.gcc.edu. The application may be printed and submitted in paper form with the supporting documentation listed on the application. Students may also complete and submit the application online.

International Students-If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must complete the College Board International Student Financial Aid Application. 
Because Grove City College does not accept Federal aid, is there a list of aid that is not accepted? 
Grove City College does not accept nor does it certify the following – any loans under the Federal Direct Loan Program (Student or Parent Programs); the Perkins Loan Program; Pell Grants; Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarships; Academic Competitiveness Grants; TEACH Grants; SMART Federal Grants; Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants; Federal Work Study; President's Service Challenge Scholarship through the Corporation for National and Community Service (also known as AmeriCorps Scholarship); Paul Douglas Teacher Scholarships; National Science Scholars Program Scholarships; National Academy of Science, Space and Technology Grants; Presidential Access Scholarships; ROTC Scholarships; educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs; assistance through the Office of Health and Human Services (such as grants from the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation or Blindness and Visual Services); Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA) Funding, or any other scholarships or loans that may be construed as providing direct or indirect federal aid to the College. The College also does not allow any student to register for classes if it is aware that a student has accepted or received such federal financial aid for that semester.

Grove City College has carefully reviewed the legislation pertaining to the New GI Bill, a package of educational benefits available to United States veterans and their dependents.  Unfortunately, the College can find no way to accept the benefits offered in this legislation without submitting to the government control that is a requirement for participation in the program.  Therefore, Grove City College is unable to certify eligibility, receive funds, or otherwise participate in this program.

When are my applications due? 

The Grove City College Financial Aid Application is due with supporting documentation in the Financial Aid Office on April 15th of each year regardless of Admission status. Note: if the 15th falls on a weekend, the application is due the next business day by 5 p.m. Please refer to the FAFSA instructions for the due date required by your state of residence. 

In order to receive need based financial aid do I have to apply every year? 


My parents can’t or don’t support me. Does this mean I am an independent student? 

Not necessarily. If your parents simply can’t afford to help you, that may be evident when we review your application, and you may be eligible for substantial financial aid. For the purpose of financial aid, however, Grove City College has defined an “independent student” as someone who: 

·        Is or will be 24 years old by January 1 of the academic year 

·        Is an orphan or ward of the court until reaching the age of 18 

·        Is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces 

·        Is a graduate or professional student      

·        Is married and/or has legal dependents (not a spouse) for who s/he provides more than 50% of the financial  support.

Grove City College believes that a parent's unwillingness to provide support does not, in and of itself, automatically make you "independent." Unless you meet one of these conditions, it is likely that your parent(s) will need to provide information on your applications. If there are extreme circumstances that make it impossible for you to expect support from your parents, we suggest that you call us to explain your situation. 

My brother attends another university, applied for financial aid last year, but didn't receive any aid. Is it worth it for me to apply for aid this year? 

Absolutely…and your brother might want to consider applying as well. With two family members in college, there is an increased chance that one or both of you will be eligible to receive some financial assistance. Also a factor is that costs and financial aid policies at different schools are likely to vary, and may, by themselves, result in aid being available to you.

My parents are divorced and I live with my mother and step-father. Is my step-father required to supply his information on the applications? 

Yes. There are two items to be particularly to be considered. First, you need to report your parent's marital status as "married." Next, your mother and step-father must both supply their financial information (income from work, investments, etc.) when you complete the GCC Financial Aid Application. Without this information your application will not be processed.

My parents are divorced. I live with my mom, but my dad claims me on his taxes. What do I do? 

Only the custodial parent (parent with whom you lived most in the last year) is required to supply the necessary financial information. In your situation, you will complete all parent financial aid questions using information about your mother. 

I've heard that there are a lot of athletic opportunities at Grove City College. Can I get an athletic scholarship? 

"The Wolverines" compete in the NCAA Division III level, and therefore we are not permitted to offer athletic scholarships or preferential treatment to athletes when awarding financial aid. 

What should I do if my family’s financial circumstances change after I apply for financial aid? 

If your family’s financial circumstances have changed due to death of a parent, divorce, separation, loss of employment, etc. contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your situation. 
More Information

Student Loans

​Because Grove City College does not accept, nor does it certify, any loans under the Federal Family Education Loan Program (Stafford and Parent PLUS Loans) students must select private, alternative loans, which are available from most lenders, in order to borrow.

Learn More

State Grants and Scholarships

Although Grove City College does not participate in federal financial aid programs, many state grant and scholarship programs can be used to assist students of the College.

Learn More

Outside Scholarships

​Scholarships from private sources outside of Grove City College provide an additional source of financial assistance for students.

Learn More

Financial Aid FAQ

​Frequently asked questions about financial aid at Grove City College. 

Learn More

529 Plans

A 529 plan (named after Section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code) is a college savings plan that allows families to establish a tax advantaged savings vehicle for educational purposes.

Learn More

Student Employment

Applications for work on campus may be filed online using the "Sign Up" tab of the myGCC portal.

Learn More