- Ph.D. Electrical and Computer Engineering, Clarkson University, 2016
- Thesis title: Underwater chaotic lidar using blue laser diodes
- M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, Clarkson University, 2013
- Thesis title: A 532 nm chaotic fiber laser transmitter for underwater lidar
- B.S.E.E. Grove City College, 2007
Areas of Research
- 3D imaging using conventional cameras, depth cameras, and lidar
- Underwater optics and particle scattering
- Wireless localization sensors
- Underwater robotics and lake exploration
- ELEE 201 Linear Circuits
- ELEE 221 Signal Analysis
- ELEE 251 Lab Skills & Prototyping
- ELEE 310 Microcontrollers
- ELEE 431/432 Communications
- ENGR 217 Mechatronics II
- ENGR 305 Labview
- ENGR 451/452 Senior Capstone
- Independent research and studies in 3D vision, digital signal processing, and image processing
Selected Publications (*indicates Grove City College student authors):
- * DeMember, E., Bergey, A., Pipes, C., Stuyck, N., Rumbaugh, L. and Illig, D., 2023, September. Underwater Time of Flight Camera for Remotely Operated Vehicle Applications. In OCEANS 2023, Biloxi (pp. xx). IEEE.
- Jantzi, A., Jemison, W., Athavale, P., Banavar, M., Bollt, E., Rumbaugh, L. and Illig, D., 2022, October. Underwater Time of Flight Camera Rangefinding with Backscatter Phasor Subtraction. In OCEANS 2022, Hampton Roads (pp. 1-7). IEEE.
- * Rumbaugh, L.K., Will, J., Thomson, J.R., Jemison, W.D. and Illig, D.W., 2022, May. Experiments using a 525 nm time-of-flight camera for object imagining and ranging in clear and turbid water. In Ocean Sensing and Monitoring XIV (Vol. 12118, pp. 120-131). SPIE.
- * Hunt, C.F., Young, J.T., Brothers, J.A., Hutchins, J.O., Rumbaugh, L.K. and Illig, D.W., 2020, October. Target detection in underwater LiDAR using machine learning to classify peak signals. In Global Oceans 2020: Singapore–US Gulf Coast (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Jantzi, A., Rumbaugh, L. and Jemison, W., 2019, May. Spatial coherence filtering for scatter rejection in underwater laser systems. In Ocean Sensing and Monitoring XI (Vol. 11014, pp. 20-29). SPIE.
- Rumbaugh, L.K., Dunn, K.J., Bollt, E.M., Cochenour, B. and Jemison, W.D., 2016, May. An underwater chaotic lidar sensor based on synchronized blue laser diodes. In Ocean Sensing and Monitoring VIII (Vol. 9827, pp. 128-138). SPIE.
What is the most important piece of advice you give students to help them succeed?
Student success usually comes shortly after the student chooses to own the problem at hand.