“What can I do with my major?”
Grove City College’s Business Program set out to answer that age-old student question with the inaugural Career Focus Night on March 8.
The answer – actually answers – came from College alumni and friends who have experienced degrees of success in their fields. About 200 students turned out for the event, where they heard from 20 panelists representing a number of careers in Accounting & Finance, Entrepreneurship and Management & Marketing.
Tapping the College’s success network for the event allowed students to get a picture of what awaits them after graduation from business owners, corporate executives, mid-career professionals, entrepreneurs who have made it, and those who are on their way.
“It was a great opportunity to hear from people who were recently in our seats and see how they bridge the gap from college to career. The smaller panels were excellent because you could interact with these professionals in a more personal manner. I was encouraged to look into different segments of industries I hadn't thought about pursuing before,” sophomore Caroline Parker, an Entrepreneurship major from Durango, Colo., said.
Panelists for Career Focus Night included:
- Rodney Deloe ’88, Gatesman Agency, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Jane Dixon ’85, Mount West Investments, President
- Nathan Fisher, Latsko DCPJ Inc. (Beaver County Auto), Assistant Controller
- Jennifer LeRose, WESCO Distribution, Senior–US Income Tax
- Jim Will ’98, PwC, Assurance Partner
- Kyle Beckhusen, Northwest Mutual Wealth Management, Financial Advisor
- Brent Ulreich ’12, CFP, ChFEBC, Hefron-Tillotson, Inc., Financial Advisor
- Douglas Wicker ’88, PNC Bank, EVP and Assistant General Auditor
- Evan Addams ’10, Nowait (purchased by Yelp), Former National Sales and Partnerships Lead
- Jayna Grassel ’11, DICK’S Sporting Goods, Manager of Search Engine Optimization
- Gray Mackenzie ’11, GuavaBox, Inbound Marketing Agency Owner and HubSpot Partner
- Ken Smith ’84, Simcoach Games, President
- Tim Tobitsch ’03, Franktuary, Co-Founder and President
- Erin Bestic ’06, Accenture, Manager Management Consulting
- Colleen Febbraro, Grossman Yanak & Ford LLP, HR Director
- Denae Lawrence ’15, Travelers Insurance, Construction Surety Underwriter
- Christopher Nan ’17, UPMC, Project Manager
- Greg Arcuri ’17, Amazon, Inbound Area Manager IV
- Andrea Howe ’15, Convestro, Product Planner
- Dan Quirk ’11, Salsa Labs, Marketing Director
Grove City College’s Business Program includes the departments of Accounting & Finance, Entrepreneurship and Management & Marketing.