- B.A., Psychology, Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
- M.A., Sociology, American University
- Ph.D., Sociology, New York University
- American Sociological Association
- North Central Sociological Association
- National Association of Scholars
- National Rifle Association (NRA)
Areas of Expertise
- Marriage and Family
- Crime, Deviance and Law
- Social Movements
- The Family As A Social Institution
- Medical Anthropology
- Cultural Anthropology
- Law and Society
- Classical and Modern Sociological Theory
- Sociology of Deviant Behavior
- Social Research Methods
Currently integrating 30-plus years of experience in marriage and family teaching and research into a book tentatively entitled And the Two Shall Become One Flesh: A Handbook of Christian Marriage. In recent years did extensive survey research analyzing student use (and misuse) of laptop computers in the college classroom.
- Investigating Social Problems (Cengage/Wadsworth, 2005).
- Experiencing Social Research (Cengage/Wadsworth, 2002).
- “Sociology,” in Gene Veith, Douglas Wilson and G. Tyler Fischer (Eds.) Omnibus VI: The Modern World (Veritas Press, 2012).
- “Cultural Anthropology,” in Gene Veith, Douglas Wilson and G. Tyler Fischer (Eds.) Omnibus IV: The Ancient World (Veritas Press, 2009).
- “Evaluating Learning Software in the Classroom: A Preliminary Study,” with Vincent F. Distasi, William P. Birmingham, Ananda Gunuwardena, and Gary L. Welton, in Jane C. Prey, Robert H. Reed, and Dave A. Berque (Eds.), The Impact of Tablet PCs and Pen-based Technology on Education (Purdue University Press, 2007).
Articles & Book Reviews
- "Tethered to Technology: Escaping the IT Trap.” (Op-Ed appeared in numerous print sources.) October 2015.
- “The Art of Moral Protest: Culture, Biography, and Creativity in Social Movements by James M. Jasper.” (Book Review.) Christian Scholar’s Review. Winter, 1999.
- “Feminism under Fire by Ellen R. Klein.” (Book Review.) Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies. September, 1998.
- “Black Progress in the 1980’s.” (Op-Ed) Grove City Allied News. April, 1998.
- “Businesses Should Invest—Wisely—In Schools.” (Op-Ed.) Grove City Allied News. October, 1997
- “More Money for Public Education?” (Op-Ed.) Grove City Allied News. April, 1997.
- “The Gospel of Sincerity: The Re-Emergence of Inclusivism and Post-Mortem Evangelism.” Crosswinds. July, 1995.
- “An Interview with Christian Liberty Academy’s Paul Lindstrom.” Crosswinds. July, 1995.
- “Can Businesses Help the Schools?” Practical Homeschooling. November, 1994.
- “MacWorld Conference in Boston.” Practical Homeschooling. November, 1994.
- “Is Public Education Doomed?” Practical Homeschooling. September, 1994.
- "Global Village Schools Institute Conference.” Practical Homeschooling. September, 1994.
- “National Educational Computing Conference.” Practical Homeschooling. September, 1994.
- “The Feminist Tragedy.” Crosswinds. Spring/Summer, 1993.
- “My Days and Nights in the Academic Wilderness.” Heterodoxy. January, 1993.
- “The Age of Terrorism by Walter Laqueur.” (Book Review.) Christian Scholar’s Review. 1990.
- “To the Student” and “Part III: Research, Writing, and Critical Thinking” in Sociology Online Resources and Writing Companion, Michele Adams, David J. Ayers, George Van Pelt Campbell, and David G. LoConto (Wadsworth/International Thomson, 2005).
- Test Bank for Sociology, 9th Edition (Wadsworth/International Thomson, 2006).
- Instructor’s Manual for Sociology, 9th Edition (Wadsworth/International Thomson, 2006).
- Test Bank for Sociology, 8th Edition, Volumes I and II (Wadsworth/International Thomson, 2001).
Faculty in three different colleges since 1986, research & consulting, delinquency rehabilitation counselor and supervisor, psychiatric intern and assistant in three different mental hospitals.
- Hunting (especially archery hunting whitetail deer)
- Guitar and bass
You might be surprised to know
- In the 1980s I did extensive, direct field research on a Jewish militant group in New York City that was being investigated and treated as a terrorist organization by the FBI/New York City Joint Terrorist Task Force.
- My father was a covert intelligence officer with the Central Intelligence Agency from the inception of the CIA into the early 1970s; both my parents were cryptographers with Naval Intelligence during World War II.