- Ph.D. Engineering Physics, University of Virginia, 1999
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Virginia, 1981
- B.S. Physics, Bridgewater College, 1979
What specific courses or specialties do you teach?
- Stress Analysis, Machine Design, Capstone Design
What is the most important piece of advice you give your students to help them succeed?
Design in the real world is about QCD, an acronym for Quality, Cost, and Delivery. The first question your boss will ask is “How much will it cost?” followed quickly by “How well will it work” and “When can I have it.” We talk about QCD frequently in the design classes I teach.
I encourage local industries to invest in Grove City College senior projects.
Please list a selection of your publications.
- Ulrich, V. W., “Rating Capstone Design Students on an Industrial Scale,” Proceedings of the 2008 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference (2008).
Is there any additional personal experience you would like for us to share?
- Faculty advisor for the Grove City College Society of Automotive Engineers Club
- Hold five US Patents