Grove City College’s Exercise Science Club is hosting an Exercise Science Symposium on Saturday, March 24 on campus.
The “Strategies for Recovery and Regeneration” symposium brings together Grove City College students and exercise science professionals to explore their discipline, hear about new ideas in the field from experts and showcase student research projects.
The symposium, which is free and open to the public, is organized by Lauren Dietz ’18 of Butler, Pa., and Mary Shannon ’19 of Salem, Va. The event is sponsored by Grove City Medical Center and the College.
The day’s schedule includes:
- Workshops – 9 to 11 a.m. in the Rehearsal Hall of Pew Fine Arts Center: Dr. Sally Sherman, University of Pittsburgh, Yoga, and Caleb Thrasher ’15, Grove City College’s head strength and conditioning coach, Myofascial Release, Mobility and Movement.
- Recorded Interview – 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Sticht Lecture Hall of the Hall of Arts and Letters: Dr. Timothy Noakes, emeritus professor in the Division of Exercise Science and Sports Medicine at the University of Cape Town, South Africa. Noakes co-founded the Sports Science Institute of South Africa and is one of the leading researchers on a condition now known as Exercise-associated hyponatremia.
- Research Poster Presentations – 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., Great Room of the Breen Student Union.
- Feature Presentations—2 to 5 p.m. Sticht Lecture Hall of the Hall of Arts and Letters: Sleep and How it Relates to Recovery” – Dr. Christopher Kline; “Warm Up With Purpose: A Strategy for Enhancing Recovery and Reducing Injury” – Ryan Stevens, ATC, CSCS; and “The Many Facets of Nutritional Ketosis: From Therapeutic to Ergogenic” – Dr. Jeff Volek, RD.
- Hands on Demonstration –5:30 to 6 p.m., Dance Studio of the Physical Learning Center, Ryan Stevens.
The purpose of the Exercise Science Club is to provide service to the Exercise Science major, the Grove City College campus and the surrounding community through educational opportunities and career-based experiences.
For more on the Department of Exercise Science at Grove City College, please visit www.gcc.edu/exer.